Saturday, May 12, 2007





Market Day!!!!


One of the differences in living in Antigua is the shopping. There is a grocery store where we buy all our dry goods, and dairy stuff. But for fresh fruit and vegetables, you can't beat the prices at the market. For instance, we went today and spent a grand total of 72 Q.... just over $10. What did we get for that magnificent sum? Well, we got 5 apples, 6 big carrots, 7 beets, a pound of green beans, a small watermelon, 3 pineapples, 2 of the biggest mangoes I've ever seen (they don't ship these ones to Canada), a pound of peeled shrimp and 3 avocadoes. The most expensive was the shrimp, at $4. If we were vegetarians, we could eat for next to nothing, but for some reason, we like our animal protein. Something about being from Alberta?

Three weeks of school left! I (Sheila) feel like a kid being let out for the summer. But my summer holiday will have to wait for a while. I'm subbing at the school for the English teacher while she is on furlough in Canada. So, back to the books, trying to translate things into Spanish for these beginner students. I'm grateful that I'll have a translator in the class to help with my blank moments (which I'm sure will be many).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY SHEILA,,,,