Sunday, July 29, 2007



Here is a pictures of the woman that this poem is written about: The second picture is of me in Guatemala with a local artist and picture we bought to remember the area.

Mayan Women

Mayan woman smiling on the street
Begging for money, flippers for feet
Same woman smiling has no legs
Little wonder on the street she begs
Hands are hardened, they work as feet
A kind of leapfrog without legs so to speak
I walk by rather fast
A casual glance at flipper feet that lasts
As I walk by tiendas in the people’s market
Buying this buying that but cannot forget
I will give her a five on the way back
Walking to our casa on the homeward track
I hand here a five and ask for a picture
She smiles rotten teeth and I sense a mixture
Of feelings, glad to see her smiling
But confused about a culture and crying
inside for ways to help the living and the dying.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So very meaningful Daddio. Wish i could be there with you, doing things that matter.