Friday, January 05, 2007

It is one oclock and we are back from purchase of phones. Both bought for 850Q. Goshinmons just has a couple of phones stolen and apparently they are the most desired theaft item down here. Oh that price also included 100 minutes of time on each phone.

Now shopping for food. We went to a huge store called Hiper Paiz which is now owned by walmart! All the workers have walmart name tags. Things look similiar until you read closer.... oh there is the oat meal quaker man, I recognize that. Wow look at the shrimp at 23.50 Quetsel per libra(pound). Some are huge.

Pert Shampoo 400 ml at 31.45 Q

We are told not to shop for bargins in markets because the chance of being robbed is too great. Check out this store at www.hiperpaiz.com.gt

Next we head over to the cosco of Guatemala called Price Smart. Looks the same again. At the little food center near the check out I see a bucket of 15 pieces of cooked chicken (pollo) for 110 Q. and a hot dog 100% corn de Rio at Q 16.

Here are some other shopping prices:
Colgate 6 pk /100ml tooth paste at 107.95 Q
Salmon 57.95 per kg
Cooked roticery( no time to spell this correctly) chicken just like home 2.25 lbs for 39.95Q
Scott toilet paper 16 rolls 55.45Q
tic tacs for 3.95Q
coca cola 4 -3 liter bottles for 53.45Q

Traffic is something and I am not sure that if I leave here I could find my way back. No left turns!

Once back to our home base I listened to Cary talk to a worker about a pepper plant living up on the roof and I had a sickening feeling that I could not learn the language!!! will just have to continue and see how I do. I was feeling good about what I know to date, but the reality of normal conversation here (i.e. moving 5 times faster than I would like) is shocking.

I am able to blog this because my laptop to working well here on the goshimons wireless system.

Will blog again tonight if time.

Tim

No comments: